Friday, September 4, 2009

One of My Favorite Websites: ThriftyFun.com

Can I use roofing nails to hang a Picasso print? What's the best way to get coffee stains off of a white dog? Which makes a better mulch for my tomato plants: Cow shit, or the Bible? Does anyone have a pattern for a knitted cover for my grandmother's colostomy bag?

Believe it or not, your parents don't have all the answers to your housekeeping needs. But a stranger in Montana might.

Visit. Bookmark. Love.

My love of fungus had led me to what would no doubt be one of my favorite websites. I was trying to figure out how to freeze the excess mushrooms I purchased when they were buy one, get one free at my local grocery store when I stumbled upon ThriftyFun.com.

I immediately found what I was looking for, and thought nothing else of it. Then I Googled something else, and was eventually led back to the same website. A few times.

A Veritable Gold Mine

ThriftyFun.com is not a pretty website. It's layout leaves much to be desired, as they try to cram in as much information as possible on the first page. But the lack of aesthetics, much like the cover of a book, hides something shimmering and beautiful within its pages: The answers to all your questions.

Up and running since 1997, ThriftyFun.com relies on users to provide its wealth of content, encouraging questions to be asked and answered in a free and friendly environment. Nearly any topic of interest related to the home is covered: Thrifty living and bargain shopping; laundry, stain removal and other cleaning tips; recipes; cooking and storing food; gardening; crafts, including sewing, crocheting and knitting; home improvement; beauty tips; and pet care.

I now know how Ponce de Leon felt when he discovered the beauty and promise of Florida's tropical paradise. Only, instead of the mythical Fountain of Youth and grapefruits, I have found something even better without ever leaving my home.

Peer Pressure

I encourage you to sign up for this free website. It's like getting a free ride to Housekeeping University. Isn't that what we all want, in the end?

I am username LilSiouxsieHomemaker, and I'll be glad to help you freeze all those vegetables you bought that you realized you didn't need.

By the way, to freeze mushrooms, you need to blanche them first so they are just cooked. Spread them evenly on a cookie sheet and freeze until they just turn solid so they don't clump up and freeze together in your Ziplock, then bag n' tag. I save the water I use to cook them in and use it as a base for broth and soup. It's amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment